Thursday, October 01, 2009

Bayanihan

Typhoon Ondoy did not just bring misery to the victims but most importantly, it once again became an instrument 
for the Filipino people to show an overwhelming spirit at times of need. Yes, the Pinoys all over the planet proved 
for the nth time that Bayanihan is still very much alive.

Sunday, a day after Ondoy struck Metro Manila and nearby provinces, I woke up hearing Kris Aquino's annoying yet 
entertaining voice over TFC from the living room (with my bedroom door closed!). I wondered why at this early, around 9am, 
Kris has been talking non-stop and though I couldn't understand what she was saying I knew there was something new 
going on. I checked on my facebook and twitter and as expected, all the statuses and tweets were about the 
destruction brought by Ondoy.


I went out of my room and was able to check on the program being aired on TFC. It was a fund-raising telethon 
for the victims of the typhoon with Kris Aquino and Tina Monson-Palma leading the star-studded event. 
It wasn't a surprise, though. Everytime a disaster hits my motherland, assistance from Non-Government Organizations 
is becoming visible in just a snap of a finger. Cash and in-kind donations are pouring in, thanks to the convincing power of Kris
that a lot of sponsors had offered various help.

But what really surprised me are the countless stories of heroism and overwhelming support shown by numerous invididuals
from all walks of life.

1.
Judge on Jet Ski saves 100; teener dies after rescuing baby, 30 others

2. brave neighbor - Gerald Anderson
3. Local stars help storm victims
4. Soldier saves 20 before drowning in Laguna

And of course, more and more assistance kept pouring in from Filipinos all over the world. Here in Singapore, various sectors
had different means to help our kababayans back home. Credit Suisse launched a Jeans Day that will allow the employees 
to wear jeans in a day and in exchange, they will provide monetary donation. Since CS offices are in 3 different locations, CS asked for volunteers for each area and I enthusiastically volunteered to be the coordinator at CBP 3F. And through this, I would like to extend my warmest thank you to all who helped, Pinoys and non-Pinoys.


No comments: