Monday, August 22, 2011

The Return of the Prodigal Fan

2 conferences ago when I decided not to watch PBA anymore.  After 19 years of following the only professional basketball league in the Philippines, I came to a point when I lost my interest in my team... no... it's more of.. nagtampoYes.  After San Miguel lost to Talk 'n Text in the finals of 2010-2011 Philippine Cup, the management decided to trade its 3 core players: Danny Seigle, Dondon Hontiveros and Dorian Pena in exchange of younger legs and future draft picks.  I know this wasn't the first time that players left their mother team, retirement would be the most acceptable reason, but to get traded in a blink of an eye, I couldn't bear that.  I've witnessed several trades in the past but this was unimaginable.

To just give away your star players... your players who have been instrumental in giving the franchise numerous championships... who had brought in millions of fans to support not just the team but the products your promoting... a big, bold NO!

Ok... I'm getting too emotional here :)  I almost forgot, this is a PROFESSIONAL league.  Anything can happen, expect the unexpected.  After all, it all boils down to just one thing: MONEY.  Oh well, 'nuff said.

After the mega-trade came the mega-title change.  From San Miguel Beermen the squad is now called Petron Blaze Boosters.  And these Boosters ended the 2nd conference, Commissioner's Cup, at the bottom of the standing.  What would you expect anyway from a team who hardly know each other?

3rd and last conference of the season: Governor's Cup.  An import-laden conference just like the previous one but this time, with a shorter height limit for reinforcements.  I did not bother to watch any single game nor even read a sports news about the league.  So, it was really a huge surprise to know that the Boosters actually made it to the finals against, once again, the team who beat them in the 1st conf.  But still, I didn't mind :D until they were up in the series after 5 games, 3-2 and they could actually wrap it up on the 6th game.  

That's the time when I realized, nothing can really take away the blood of a genuine SMB fan :D  So I went home early on a Friday, tuned in to the first live streaming I found in the net and excitedly watched my fave team, just like before :D  It was a runaway win by the Tropang Texters, and I needed to wait another day for the last and final game to determine the real champions.

Sunday came and the day did not even start on a good note that I never imagined it would end so sweet like this:

Petron Blaze Boosters: 2010 - 2011 PBA Governor's Cup Champions
Rookie Coach Ato Agustin getting his victory ride
*special thanks to Toti for the term 'Prodigal Fan' :)
**photos grabbed from http://www.pba.ph

No comments: