Sunday, June 30, 2013

5 Years

June 28, 2008.  Exactly 5 years ago when I first set foot in Singapore.  With just one luggage and a backpack, 2 week’s worth of office clothes and few sets of casual apparels, I faced the greatest challenge of my life then:  live and work in a foreign country far away from my family.  Though it wasn’t easy, it wasn’t difficult neither.
 
I didn’t imagine that, that one big decision of mine would give me and my loved ones the best things of our lives.  What all I wanted then was to try to live independently and it turned out I achieved more than that.  I became stronger, smarter and a better individual.   I learned to deal with different types of peoples from different nations, cultures, religions, ages and orientations.  And from there, I learned to respect everyone’s opinions, preferences and differences and in the process, I gained wonderful friends and remain in touch with the good old ones.
 
Not only I did improve myself, I also got the chance to fulfil a life-long dream:  owning a house and lot.  Though I’m still 26 months away to officially claim that I am a certified house owner, I could almost taste it (fingers-crossed).
 
And in those 5 years, I managed to visit other wonderful places and what makes it sweeter is I was able to give my parents out-of-the-country trips which my mother described as something “we only thought would happen in our dreams”.  Sweet.

June 26, 2013. 2 days before I mark my 5th year in Singapore, I’m already home.... for good and hopefully for the better.  It was a decision that came too soon.

No comments: