Monday, July 03, 2006

Purefoods vs Red Bull

I wasn't able to watch Game 6 last Friday on TV so, I just asked my nanay to give me blow-by-blow updates (maraming salamat talaga sa nakaimbento ng cellphone... :D). While having merienda with a bunch of officemates at Yellow Cab, I couldn't help but to worry, it could be the Beermen's last this season. Whew! At last, got the final score...116-101, SMB forced a game 7 :).

Sunday, 2nd of July 2002, while the whole nation was preparing for the Mano-a-Mano fight of Manny Pacquiao and Oscar Larios, I was busy thinking of 2 things, Superman Returns and the 7th game of SMB/Red Bull series. After watching the Man of Steel at IMAX (please see my other entry.. :D), my family and I hurriedly went home. I need to watch what turned out to be SMB's last game this season.

We got home at around 6pm and the 1st game was still undecided. Few minutes later, Purefoods booked the first seat to the finals with 90-89 win over Alaska after being down in the series at 1-3, the Chunkee Giants made history after being only the 2nd team to win in a best-of-7 series after a 1-3 start.

After half an hour, the 2nd game started. I don't know but, my instinct worked again. I knew this was going to be our last game this season. SMB did not play the way that they used to play during 2nd, 4th and 6th games.
Their shots did not fall in, open shots, at that. Dondon Hontiveros, though working like a horse in defense, still a missing factor in offense, he did not score at all :( Chris Calaguio, after a great game last Friday, only managed to score 5 points. It was only Kiko Adriano who had a good game from the bench players, others, whew! Nowhere to be found. They were down by only 6 points inside the last 2-minute mark, and I must admit I was hopeful that they could snatch this game. 84-82, Red Bull lead, SMB possession. Seigle committed his 8th turnover in the game. Possession goes back to RB, luckily they had an error and the basketball returns to SMB. After the timeout, Danny Ildefonso left wide-open beyond the arc and he released the ball, missed! Seigle had the rebound and was fouled by Junthy Valenzuela while trying to go for a lay-up. He calmly sanked 2 free throws and with 3.7 seconds left, Red Bull had the ball and Yeng Guiao called for time. As the game resumes, Enrico Villanueva had the ball, double-teamed, kicked the ball out to Pennisi and though free at the 3-pt line, he opted to pass the ball to Valenzuela at the left-corner court... kaboooommm!!! With no time left, the shot went in. I was speechless, I did not utter a single word. Though, I was expecting that SMB wouldn't make it, but not this way. It was a HEARTBREAKER.... :((

No comments: